Re: [tlug] BIOS / Video Problems

Oh, and both machines are AMD FX powered.  I will have to see if thre are any Intel parts in the North or South bridges, but am doubtful.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 6:34 PM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
Furkan Mustapha wrote:

> I feel like this might be related?
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1734147
> https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/12/ubuntu-corrupting-lenovo-laptop-bios
>
> The issue mentions Lenovo laptops, but it probably effects many EFI BIOSes.
ARGH!  This may be a clue ...

The not very much working machine (hereinafter Machine Two) was upgraded to Lubuntu 17.10.  After the fire, the front of the case had water run down it and I had video fail after drying the machine out for almost a month.  Believing the issue was water damage, I bought a new case, mobo, and vid card with zero luck on fixing the video issue.  The problem came to my main machine (Machine One) after I tried out the SSD (which was booting Lubuntu 17.10) on my Debian machine and may  have accidentally started to reboot Lubuntu instead of shutting down to remove said SSD.  I have been wondering whether there might have had something video killing in the code.  The second motherboard has a UEFI BIOS (first machine mobo doesn't) but neither has proper video driving a video card.  Machine One (ASRock mobo) has onboard video, Machine Two (ASUS mobo)does not.  Video cards work on neither.

Any suggestions?  I am reading, but it isn't sinking in quickly.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 7:42 AM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I did read about this a while ago and according to one source,
> such as this web site
> (http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=135661), Intel SPI
> configurations is set to "N" on Debian systems.  (Does anyone who know
> better can confirm this?  I actually don't know what it means...)

SPI is wire protocol for serial communication (Serial Programming Interface).
It is used, among other things, to program the flash that holds BIOS
and its settings.
Hoping debian does provide /proc/config by default, try:

zcat /proc/config.gz|fgrep SPI_INTEL_SPI_PLATFORM

Cheers,
Kalin.