Re: [tlug] Dictionary problem

> 2016/03/21 23:19、Darren Cook <darren@example.com> のメール:
>
> We're talking the difference between typing "catheter" or "aluminium"
> into the dictionary search engine, and typing "Our [new and top-secret
> design] approach uses a 10mm aluminium ring in the catheter, rather than
> the currently used 9mm rubber rings." into a translation engine.

I know, and my question is, as far as NDAs are concerned, what difference does it make. I other words, what are the practical and existing *disclosure risks* in using MT, even in the case of confidential stuff. I'd really like to hear about that.

> But as another answer to your question: given a full sentence MT will
> try and guess the correct meaning for each word, and may guess wrong,
> and you may not realize. With a dictionary lookup, on just the keyword
> of interest, you get back all meanings, with a gloss to describe the
> subtle differences, and the translator's superior understanding of the
> context can choose which one is correct.

:) Yeah, that's the theory. I'm finishing a 8000 characters translation right now, that I started this afternoon, and I'm glad I had MT as an input assistant and glossary "good enough" terms provider. From *that* you can use more sophisticated dictionaries and web searches and that's where you see the difference between a translator who is paid for his work and an amateur.

Jean-Christophe Helary