Re: [tlug] Dictionary problem

On 2016/03/21 13:07, Raymond Wan wrote:
Hi Thomas,

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz <nyuwa@example.com> wrote:
If Linux really has nothing useful to offer for my "dictionary problem",
I maybe be forced to use Windows after all.

Perhaps a naive question from me, but what's wrong with an on-line
dictionary, like Google translate?

Or even using a portable electronic dictionary?  You lose the ability
to copy and paste with electronic dictionaries, but either ought to be
better than struggling for so long with Linux?

And if you're going from Japanese-to-English, you can add the
Rikaichan plugin to Firefox.  I guess you can also open local files
with Firefox and use Rikaichan.  This is of course OS independent...

Ray

Thank you.
However ..
as a translator I have signed contracts with each and every agency. Many of those contracts specifically PROHIBIT the use of things like Google translate! I do use online dictionaries on a daily basis, but (1) there are times - believe it or not - when I have to work without internet access.
(2) The stuff you find on the net is often everything but trustworthy.

Having to work usually with highly technical / medical / sometimes philosophical material ... tools like Rikaichan do not provide what I need.
Sorry for being so negative.
Thomas