Re: [tlug] Dictionary problem

> I use the EBView application for reading EB dictionaries. Works fine with
> Linux. I have the usual J-J and J-E culprits: 広辞苑, 大辞林, Readers+, etc. and
> a heap of subject-specific glossaries.

That would be my recommendation, too. It was a bit clunky to use, and
last updated in 2003 or so, but it is available as part of Ubuntu:
  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ebview

Like Kalin I also found the dedicated hardware dictionaries the best for
unknown kanji lookup because you could draw them; stroke count and
radical lookup is a bit masochistic. But, of course, no way to add a
custom dictionary. (I wonder if there is any Android app that offers the
best of both worlds?)

> as a translator I have signed contracts with each and every agency. Many
> of those contracts specifically PROHIBIT the use of things like Google
> translate!

There is a world of difference between using "Google Translate", and a
professional translator googling for word meanings.

Darren