Re: [tlug] Dictionary problem

On 21 March 2016 at 18:35, Thomas <nyuwa@example.com> wrote:

> Yes, I know EBView ... but have troubles using it.
> I tried it on 6-8 different computers, Windows/Linux, 2-3 versions.
> I constantly get following errors:
> 1)  Search method -> "Failed to search: no such search method"
> •  Automatic    =   failed
> •  Exactword    =   failed
> •  Forward          =   failed
> •  Backward    =   failed
> •  Keyword      =   OK
> •  Multiword      =   OK
> •  Full text        =   no hits

I've only used it with Linux. All of those work for me, apart from "Multiword".
Since I always use the default "Automatic", it's not an issue.

> 2)  Japanese input
> EVERY Japanese character results in: "Failed to read gaiji: za544"

Odd. Works fine for me. I'm usually pasting into it, anyway.

> 3)  Help
> Clicking on the items in the Help menu give this error:
> "Failed to execute command. Check setting"

I get that too.

> And EBView refuses to read two important dictionaries.

I had to fiddle the config quite a bit to get all mine working.
The EPWING directory structures can be a challenge.

Most of the time I use the Kenkyusha "KOD" site. It costs
about 1.2万円 a year but has 大辞林, the big 5thEd JE and 14
other dictionaries via quite a good interface - it looks them up
all at once and returns the ones with matching entries. It's
useful for translations as it searches in the Japanese translations
in the big EJ dictionaries, and that way gets a much better hit rate
than the JEs. Also, you get the most up-to-date versions.

Oh, and I keep a text window open with a utility running that fires
off greps on a heap of text glossares including good old Eijiro.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University