Re: [tlug] Japanese input method

Jim Breen writes:

 > I've always assumed citation-count systems were only ever
 > "aimed at the people who determine promotion and salary".
 > One's research peers don't need bullshit scores to assess the
 > quality of work.

I gather you're not a social scientist, then. :-)  There are lots of
cool things to be done with the networks defined by citations, and
some are valid with summary statistics like counts.

My students are almost by definition not my peers, though.  Especially
with masters students I often find myself as second and sometimes
primary advisor in a field I haven't followed for a decade.  And I've
done out-of-field research several times.  I've found that looking for
papers published ten years ago with a 2-sigma-higher-than-average
citation rate was likely to find the seminal papers that will quickly
bring you up to speed.  It's definitely better then nothing for the
students.