Re: [tlug] Japanese input method

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 02:57:00PM +0800, Raymond Wan wrote:
>> haha -- SEO is a bit weak...perhaps those of us with a web site can
>> consider linking to it.  (Though I'm not sure if I'd pull his pagerank
>> down or not!  :-) )
>
> As I understand it (and I don't understand it very well) you get a higher
> ranking if you are linked and don't link back to it.  So, if site X links
> to me, and I don't link to site X, it raises the ranking.  But honestly, I
> don't care, and ask Ubuntu will probably have more current answers as I
> won't bother with the page again till it stops working smoothly for me
> again.

I think Google's pagerank works through reputation.  If page A is
highly reputable and links to page B, then the reputation of page B
goes up.  So if many reputable pages (or web sites) links to page B,
then that brings up B's pagerank.

I'm not too sure if circular linking has anything to do with it.  Of
course, this was the original 1998 pagerank algorithm (up to my level
of understanding) -- over the years, no doubt Google has updated it.

The part I don't know is if a poorly ranked web page (i.e., mine) is
A, does it contribute very little to page B or does it penalize page
B.  Of course, if it contributes a little, that's no big deal.
Penalizing wouldn't be any good.

Ray