Re: [tlug] Japanese input method

Scott Robbins writes:

 > A lot of folks, including myself, seem to have issues with ibus, so
 > nowadays, I use fcitx.

XIM had a pile of issues, but not working at all wasn't one of them.
It's not at all obvious to me that any of the newfangled input
managers is an improvement.  Like, WTF?[1]

I should have some free time this summer, anybody want to see if we
can do something about this?  Not to say Scott's work on HOWTO isn't
excellent, just that free systems should do better than this OOTB for
the 多言語機能付き Volk.  (And it might very well be that the only
thing that really needs doing is getting the distros to switch to
fcitx, but the fact that fairly modern distros haven't suggests that
fcitx isn't perfect either....)

Footnotes:
[1]  As y'all may recall, I'm of the if it ain't broke, don't f---
with it" school.  Since I'm on a Mac, Kotoeri works fine, and in
XEmacs I use the built-in Canna -- not recommended if you haven't been
using Canna for decades because its dictionaries are mediocre and its
learning function poor, but WFM.