[tlug] USB usage in Virtualbox

Thomas Blasejewicz writes:

 > Nevertheless I just cannot make [VirtualBox] work.  [...]
 > VMPlayer can do both of these tricks.

 > What kind of magic is needed to make Virtualbox work?

What do you hope to get from VirtualBox that you don't get from
VMPlayer?  That is, why not just use VMPlayer?

Why do I ask?  I just don't trust Oracle do non-paying users any
favors; I think they continue to provide zero-price VirtualBox (which
they acquired, they didn't build it themselves IIRC) and built a
zero-price Xen distribution mostly to confuse the market, and get
people to upgrade to (expensive) supported offerings or Oracle "cloud"
services.

Not being a heavy user of either of the above, I don't have practical
experience to back up, but I'll point out that VMware basically just
does VMware.  They might give you crippleware where they tell you "if
you want feature X you need to pay for it", but I don't think they'd
fail to fix plain ol' bugs in the free version.

Steve