Re: [tlug] USB usage in Virtualbox

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 04:23:33PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Thomas Blasejewicz writes:
>
>  > Nevertheless I just cannot make [VirtualBox] work.  [...]
>  > VMPlayer can do both of these tricks.
>
>  > What kind of magic is needed to make Virtualbox work?
>
> What do you hope to get from VirtualBox that you don't get from
> VMPlayer?  That is, why not just use VMPlayer?

Generally speaking--I don't use either very much but these days tend to use
VirtualBox--it's a bit lighter on resources.  VMPlayer almost always has
trouble on Fedora--I know the OP is using Mint, but there's always a
missing library or two that has to be fixed with each Fedora update.  Maybe
it's the same with Mint, I don't know.

> Why do I ask?  I just don't trust Oracle do non-paying users any
> favors; I think they continue to provide zero-price VirtualBox (which
> they acquired, they didn't build it themselves IIRC) and built a
> zero-price Xen distribution mostly to confuse the market, and get
> people to upgrade to (expensive) supported offerings or Oracle "cloud"
> services.

I don't disagree at all.  Oracle is probably the most evil of 'em all, but
they don't seem to have broken it yet.

Again, I'm not a heavy user of either--at work we generally use FreeBSD
jails or KVM on CentOS but VBox is generally quicker to use for me than
VMware-player.

Not knowing the OP's situation though, that is probably the least
aggravating solution--use VMPlayer and be done with it.  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6