Re: [tlug] USB usage in Virtualbox

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 01:29:05AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Thomas writes:
>  > On 2015/07/10 16:23, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>  > > Thomas Blasejewicz writes:
>  > >
>  > >   > What kind of magic is needed to make Virtualbox work?
>  > >
>  > > What do you hope to get from VirtualBox that you don't get from
>  > > VMPlayer?  That is, why not just use VMPlayer?
>  > With VMPlayer I am told every other day, that some packages have to be
>  > compiled.
>
> Compiled?  Are you sure you don't mean "installed" (see Scott Robbins'
> reply)?

I was unclear. Thomas may be right. I was frequently running into issues
with VMware, where after any sort of update, suddenly vmware-tools stopped
working, and finally, someone would figure out that with Fedora, at least,
something had to be patched.

>  > It seems a bit slow too. I had hoped for some improvements here ...
>
> Slow compared to VirtualBox?  Now *that* would be *slow*.

Again, going by memory--I think they were generally around the same, but I
think on a box with fewer resource, VMWare-player (or whatever it is now
called) would be heavier than VirtualBox, and so they might have noticed
slowness.

So, while not sure on either of these, since I've not used VMWare-player in
over a year, I think it's possible Thomas is right.  If not compiled, then
a library found, perhaps then vmware-tools had to be--errm compiled? Is it
perl?  Sigh, I'm almost sure binaries are built somewhere.

> Well, it does get tiring after a while. ;-)

Ok, Stephen, that was a literal LOL>

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6