Re: [tlug] Help with Mint

Christian Horn writes:
 > On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 04:54:02PM +0800, Raymond Wan wrote:
 > >
 > > [..] Manufacturers care more about getting a lot of data and mining
 > > it over customer privacy.

Yup.  The worst spam I get is those damn M2M/IOT conferences, because
they look like real biz/econ conferences to my filters.  Business
people (entreprenuers, anyway) seem to be really hot about that stuff.

 > But maybe customers have a voice here?
 >
 > When the first iphone came out, whoever wanted the hardware had
 > to buy it - and live with any restraints me had.
 >
 > For music, "voting with the feet" did lead to the files getting
 > available without DRM.

Sure, but DRM gets in the way of people doing what they actively want
to do.

 > So there is a way to also get services without data collection -
 > but people have to want it "enough".

Stop right there!  Look up!  See that security camera staring at you?

The point being, people accept that kind of monitoring.  They accept
Google and other "freemail" providers browsing their private
information to improve search results and the like.  Facebook -- the
stalker's best friend.  I think Raymond is right.  Far too few people
are going to care enough to disable the refrigerator's ability to call
the nearest supermarket.  You are going to have to choose between
gossipy appliances and no appliances, is my bet.

Larry Lessig, Code 2.0.  'nuff said.