Re: [tlug] Self-introduction + thank you for scanner help

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> With a _lot_ of help from this list, especially from Stephen Turnbull, I did
> manage to get my Brother printer/scanner working on Linux Mint 17
> Qiana here in Japan. (The printer was easy. The scanner was not.)
> So, after the re-install everything almost works as it should, and does
> work well enough for my purposes.

I think we had the same scanner (DCP-7055). Was the reinstall actually
Mint 17.1 (aka a base distro of Ubuntu 14.04.2)?

Just curious, as my scanner magically started working in April this
year... but I'd not tried scanning anything for a few months, so I don't
know exactly what changed. But the biggest change was the update to mint
17.1.

> Strangely enough, I could only use the scanner as root at first, despite
> having set up a group and done what I knew how to make it available.

There are quite a few ideas here:

http://superuser.com/questions/298298/scanning-only-works-under-sudo-ubuntu

I would not change any permission in /dev. This is bad [TM].
I would rather try to understand why permissions are wrong for your user. As a temp workaround, you could add yourseld to lp and lpadmin groups, depending on what permissions the printer device has. This is not perfect, but better than giving rw access to everybody.

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.