Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

On 2014-06-20 11:11, steve wrote:
On 06/19/2014 05:37 PM, Raymond Wan wrote:
As it is a 32-bit application, my guess is that you have to install
the 32-bit version of libstdc++6.  i.e., there are two of them:

It seems strange that it would only be one library that is giving
problems.  I just went through this on eclipse for anki however where
adb is 32 bit but I'm running it on a 64 bit machine.  To get things
working there I needed to do the following:

In ubuntu there is a package that you can install that will supply 32/64
bit compatibility on 64 bit machines
"ia32 shared libraries - transitional package"

Debian handles it differently.  I needed to
'dpkg --add-architecture i386'
and using apt-get install the libs I needed with
'apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386 zlib1g:i386'

Steve S.

Thanks for all the help. Once I got the installer working, it whirred a bit, and there was the actual program. Which gave some message about libstdc++. I installed libstdc++:i386 (did I? can't seem to find that name...); now it moans differently:

/home/brian/bin/memsource/TranslationEditor: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But I cannot find out which library I need to add. In the list above there is zlib1g:i386, but this does not appear in Synaptic (I don't really understand where it is looking... on Ubuntu's repository, if that's the right term?) So again I'm stuck.

Someone suggested using ldd to see the library linking names etc, but I get this:

ldd ~/bin/memsource/run.sh&
[3] 4977
[2]   Done                    ~/bin/memsource/run.sh
brian@Grieg ~ $ 	not a dynamic executable

I don't understand what much if anything of this means... help!

I enjoyed the nomikai today, got to talk to a few faces, and practice my knowledge of Bulgarian (which is limited to ягода, which means strawberry), and even got home since the lifeboat came to meet me at Koga.

Brian Chandler