[tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

Three days ago an updated kernel and headers arrived for
10.04, taking it to 2.6.32-61. I updated (as usual), then shut the system
down, as I was going away for the weekend. When I rebooted tonight
it was a disaster - windows freezing randomly all over the place. I was able
to get to a console (Ctrl-Alt-F2, etc.) and restart X (sudo service
gdm restart),
but it was a hopeless situation. Any attempt to change to another virtual
window brought on the freeze.

All was made clear when I Googled the kernel number and found
9 pages of howling about it:

Seems it was an update aimed to the server version of 10.04, and
no-one gives a hoot about the workstation verson.

Sooo, I'm back to 2.6.32-60 now (via Grub Customizer), but I suspect
that I may be driven away from 10.04 after all this time.

Cheers

Jim
--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University