Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 10.04 - kernel update snafu

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Brian Chandler <brian@example.com> wrote:
> On 2014-06-09 22:10, Jim Breen wrote:
>> Three days ago an updated kernel and headers arrived for
>> 10.04, taking it to 2.6.32-61. I updated (as usual), ...
> Since Ubuntu 10.04 is no longer supported, and my previous experience of

I've always wondered if it is no longer supported, is it still
possible to upgrade.  Can you upgrade to 12.04, for example?

> In the course of this major upheaval I did at least learn something. My
> hard disk seems to have two partitions, so I was able to keep the Ubuntu
> 10.04 partition, and by connecting a PS2 keyboard (won't work from a USB
> one), I can press any/all of Esc, Del, F12, to select an older version
> of the 10.04 kernel, which then seems to run fine. (Fine-ish. I don't
> *like* Ubuntu, particularly, but I can manage with it. I dream that one
> day I might meet something new that I actually like.) How would I go
> about deleting the latest version, so the automatic boot might even go
> to the working 10.04?

I think Stephen mentioned about editing grub's configuration file.
What I've done in the past is create a boot disk (previously with
Knoppix but now, an Ubuntu one -- the latest version) to fix grub up.
*After* it successfully boots into the partition I want, I can erase
the partition I don't want and then enlarge it using gparted (instead
of the command-line).  As with all things related to partitions, back
up first...

> being 15MB, it simply does nothing. How would I get a clue whether this
> is because it really only runs on "Official Vanilla Unity Ubuntu" or
> what? (If I were a Debian user would using something notionally only
> available for "Ubuntu" be harder? Easier? Impossible?)

Unlike Travis, I encountered the same problem you had.  It does
absolutely nothing.  I ran the latest version on both 14.04 and 12.04
with no success.  My guess is that it requires something to run and it
is silently failing with no error messages.  You should probably ask
the developers.  At the very least, they should add an error message
in their program.

> Since there is a Memsource version for Ubu 10 and 12, I chose 12,
> thinking it closer to Mint 17. But should I think Old Better?

Since they are statically linked:

MemsourceEditor-4.151-ubuntu-12.04.run: ELF 32-bit LSB  executable,
Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped

(someone posted this already), it shouldn't matter.  Besides the
above, I noticed [1] that it makes use of 32-bit libraries.  Though it
is statically linked, I wonder if you need to install the 32-bit
libraries?  Even so,  I would expect there to be an error message...
Anyway, it is strange and you may have to ask the developers.

Ray

[1]  https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/memsource-editor/?setlang=ja