Re: [tlug] Poll: OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

Bruno Raoult writes:

 > I have no idea, as I don't use formulas. I just suggest people will
 > focus on it, therefore making it use-able for everybody.

I think that's rather unlikely.  It's certainly likely that somebody
will invent a handwriting reader that can handle math, but typed LaTeX
is pretty close to spoken math.  I wouldn't be surprised if LaTeX
becomes the storage format of choice when dictating a scientific paper
to a computer becomes a reality.

On the other hand, LaTeX will continue to excel at the kind of "repeat
with variations" work that programming languages are good for:
formatting bibliographies, consistent notation for semantic notions,
and so on.  People who realize that they need that kind of thing,
sadly enough, are few and far between.