Re: [tlug] Poll: OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

On Sun, 18 May 2014 00:43:26 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> Taking a look at the Gentoo dependencies, it seems remarkably clean
> for a GNOME application.  I've tried it, didn't like it (don't
> remember why, any more).  Maybe this summer I'll try it again.

In the interest of completeness, I should add that when I migrated from Ubuntu 12.04[1] to Arch Linux, my appreciation for evince dropped as the GUI has become really shite. So our differing experiences with evince may not be contradictory, especially if you have been testing a later version than the one shipped with ye olde Ubuntu.

> Yes.  It's a big problem to even get agreement on what best practices
> are, unfortunately.  Most people live by "nobody ever got fired for
> buying IBM" (or Microsoft, as the case might be).

Thank you for the insight.

> Ouch.  That sounds more like the Japanese educational system than a
> European one....

Well, .edu excepted, obviously. At .edu we collaborate text-only and let *one* person do the final page formatting. The final product is much more consistent that way, and duplication of effort is kept at a minimum, which surely is the whole point of collaboration. I always assumed that things functioned basically the same in a work environment, but here we are. It's work experience in these matters I lack.

[1] One of the reasons for migrating being that when you say "Ubuntu" around here, people automatically assume a lot about your system and your lifestyle choices. It's hard to say "I install a base Ubuntu installation using the ~30 MiB minimal CD, and then install xorg, awesome/dwm and a few other things" without coming across as a bit of a condescending twat, so it's easier just to install Arch and thus have people stop assuming the worst about my work environment.