Re: [tlug] Poll: OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

On 05/14/2014 04:40 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
I'm curious which TLUG'ers prefer for Japanese, OpenOffice or
LibreOffice?

Feel free to respond privately at stephen@example.com, if I get any
private responses I'll summarize later.

Steve

Using LibreOffice 3 because LO4 takes too much work to keep completely E <-> J bilingual. Imap-mozc has improved the situation greatly but it still isn't 100%. I was using OpenOffice until whatever rift in The Force caused it to fork and didn't see much reason to reject the pre-installed LibreOffice that was offered in Kubuntu / Debian KDE -- except upgrading seems a little more obtuse in LO. My main documents directory is still named "OpenOffice" and has remained unchanged since somewhere back around Kubuntu 7-point-whatever.

I work in a field that requires frequent bilingual submissions to various Departments and Offices of the Uncle of Us All, and their most recent set of standards for submitted work is .doc or .docx, when it isn't also .pdf. In those cases when I absolutely have to send in a Word format, I save a copy of the .odt file to .docx but open and re-edit the output as metatags get lost, line spacing and bulleting commands change, and layout can get flat out strange. I am told that the resulting file always "looks good" when viewed on downgraded WIN-running machines produced and maintained by the lowest bidder.

Biggest gripe is that the files I produce with LibreOffice in WIN 7 (running in a VBox) are not instantly readable in LibreOffice running on my Debian Wheezy desktop (some JGOV, UN, and USGOV databases and information sites do not permit logging in with anything other than IE / Safari or, alternatively Moz running on RealMS or RealApple, so I frequently have to capture and re-send data internally). This despite hours spent making sure that font choices, formatting commands and layout was set exactly the same in both OSes. I've tried drag n' drop, sending files from one of my Gmail accounts to another then saving into the "other" OS, saving to / downloading from a shared MS network disk, sharing via a cloud account, and saving on a USB stick and opening it in the other OS.

YMMV (and, it probably will)

--
CL