Re: [tlug] [OT] email client tips?

On 25 April 2014 11:58, Travis Cardwell <travis.cardwell@example.com> wrote:
> On 2014年04月25日 00:28, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>> How anybody can stand to use Thunderbird or Outlook or Gmail on more
>> than a casual basis I just don't get.
>
> I have painful experience with all of these. :(

I moved to Gmail about 7 years ago. I wouldn't do it now for
various reasons, e.g. dislike of "Do-no-evil-apart-from-not-paying-
tax-in-countries-where-we-make-sales", and would probably
look for an independent IMAP-based provider where I could use
a "jim@example.com" style of address. (Before Gmail I use mush.)

That said, I can't say I've found Gmail much of a problem. Some
of their recent UI changes have been annoying, but the work-arounds
are OK. Being able to send mail as though it was from any of my past
addresses is good. I use both the WWW version and the Android app.

I end up being the fixit person for my wife's use of Thunderbird (on XP).
It doesn't seem too bad; the main problem is her mail provider never
did IMAP, so I have to do all sorts of convoluted things so that she
can travel with a working email and access to her past mails.

I use vim all the time, of course, apart from email.  8-)}

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University