Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo (Very OT)

On 15 March 2014 03:59, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> Benjamin Tayehanpour writes:
>
>  > In Sweden, we have a law which basically says that you're allowed
>  > to break the law if the projected damage to people and/or property
>  > which would result from *not* breaking the law is significantly
>  > greater.
>
> Interesting that Sweden went to the extent of legislating that.

In my experience, Sweden tends to legislate many things that would be
covered by precedent in US / UK style common law. While it can
certainly have drawbacks, it has the benefit of average citizens being
able to understand the law without having to look up case history. :)

> Japanese organizations have more socially acceptable
> (and quite painful and effective) punishments to mete out [to crappy employees].

Yeah, one of my favourites is where they give a guy a "private office"
(broom cupboard) and no work.

> Caution: none of this is absolute, and *all* of it can be found in
> significant proportions in *every* culture.  Japanese are people, and
> their culture is a recognizably human culture with many wonderful
> dimensions.

Hear, hear!

Cheers,
Josh