Re: [tlug] Locking an HTML Doc

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 7:38 PM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
> Pardon the strange Subject, but I don't know what terms I should be
> using in this request for help.

Looks fine, same as "how to hold water in a sieve" - short answer is you cannot.

> I have a document of 14 pages that was created in LibreOffice as an .odt
> original and then exported as a .pdf file for sending to a client.  The
> client has subsequently asked to have the document saved in HTML format,
> which LibreOffice can do.  But, the result, when viewed in my browser,
> is FUGLY.

That is probably because you used LO not in the intended way, that is
using styles to achieve layout and presentation.
 (but then I have never tried that export myself)

> I use Ariel and MS Gothic fonts in Firefox because san-serif loads
> faster and, most of the answers I am looking for are disposable when I'm
> finished.  I use serif fonts for publications and  submissions for
> readability.  I have serif sets available and Firefox uses them when
> instructed.

Fonts are the last thing you should deal with in a web design....

> I am also seeing the text running edge-to-edge, at 1980x1050, when that
> wasn't the look I intended ... or even consider desirable, in this
> case.  Only the last page number remains.

HTML media is wildly different than printed/paginated media, so you
have to think out of the box (that A4 is).

> The doc was prepared using Times New Roman and MS Mincho, on an A4 page,
> with 2cm Left, Right, Top margins and a 1.5cm Bottom margin with page
> numbering in the footer.  That's what I want the Client to see when they
> open the file and I want anyone else who opens it to also see the same
> fonts, graphics, and layout -- e.g. I want it to play the same on any
> machine that can parse HTML ... like it does when I send .pdf to
> machines that can read Adobe portable formats.

PDF in the generic term is for printing, it has page as a basic unit
defined, while HTML does not.
In HTML a page is equal to a document, all documents are one page by
design (but you can break them if you wish).
Also there is no fixed page size.

> Is there a way to add instructions to lock my file so it can only be
> viewed one way, like a .docx, .odt, .pdf, .wcx .... nado, nado, even if
> it means appending font files or something even more space wasting.
> I've Googled, but I haven't put together a set of terms that results in
> an answer I can

There is no simple answer.

The best you can quickly achieve is to use Google Drive/Documents and
prepare it / upload it there. Then you can "publish" to web if you
desire. But it is more important to change your thinking in terms of
typefaces and fixed size pages and consistently use styles (that
translate to CSS for the web).

Kalin.