Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo (Very OT)

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Benjamin Tayehanpour
<benjamin@example.com> wrote:
> On 12 March 2014 17:15, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
>> Sure, if your Japanese was native and you're able to argue to allow
>> you to use your computer, you think you "win".  But, you have (IMHO)
>> actually lost because you'll find yourself living in a place where
>> rules are bent if you (or someone else) whines enough.
>
> I fail to agree. You may call it whining, but I'm sure most[dubious --
> discuss] people would call it mitigating circumstances. If you would
> humour me in some reductio ad absurdum, or illustrationem I would

Hmmmmm....at the risk of repeating the last time we sat at the same
table in the pub not so long ago :-) ...I'll humour you a bit since
it's Friday.

Very OT...many others might want to skip this one.

> hope: Would you or would you not jaywalk (i. e. commit a minor
> offence) in order to stop an unarmed robbery (i. e. abort a major
> offence)?

I personally would not because I don't think I could be successful in
thwarting an unarmed robbery.  But, for the sake of argument, suppose
I was 100% sure that I would be successful.  What you're really asking
is whether the "ends justify the means".  I would say "no" not because
stopping a robbery isn't a nice thing to do...it is.  But you've made
the assumption that only I and the robber exist.  What if while
dashing across the street, an oncoming car brakes suddenly and its
passengers are injured?  Or, say the robber is arrested and then you
are for jaywalking.  Would you accept the charge for jaywalking or
would you try to get out of it by saying you stopped a robbery?  What
if you had failed to stop the robbery and are caught for jaywalking?
What defense could you use?

The original scenario about being disallowed to use a computer in the
library by a security guard also assumes that only two people exist in
a closed world, independent of everything else.  Keeping in mind that
the security "robot" doesn't make the rules and is really just doing
his job, what if he is disciplined by his supervisor when it is seen
on the CCTV.  What if he is suspended or fired?  What if a patron sees
the security guard let "one" go and says, "But you let him!  How come
not me?"  In time, no one will listen to the security guard...

Of course, that's just me...

Ray

PS:  Now, suppose there's only two people left on the planet:  me and
a library security guard...  The situation is entirely different but I
won't say more as that's the basis of my money-making screenplay for a
Hollywood movie trilogy!  :-)