Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo

On 12 March 2014 17:15, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
> You can call me a "TLUG roboto", then, because I would agree with the
> security guard.  If there is a policy in place, then applying it to
> everyone -- even if it isn't in your favour -- is fair.  As long as
> it's applied to both you, the gaijin, and some senior citizen who
> gives a story about not being able to contact her grandson in another
> prefecture.

"Give me the judgement of balanced minds in preference to law every
time. Codes and manuals create patterned behaviour. All patterned
behaviour tends to go unquestioned, gathering destructive momentum."
Policies are a fine thing, as long as they don't get in the way of
justice.

> Sure, if your Japanese was native and you're able to argue to allow
> you to use your computer, you think you "win".  But, you have (IMHO)
> actually lost because you'll find yourself living in a place where
> rules are bent if you (or someone else) whines enough.

I fail to agree. You may call it whining, but I'm sure most[dubious --
discuss] people would call it mitigating circumstances. If you would
humour me in some reductio ad absurdum, or illustrationem I would
hope: Would you or would you not jaywalk (i. e. commit a minor
offence) in order to stop an unarmed robbery (i. e. abort a major
offence)?