Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM, [SCA] SCHWARTZ, Fernando G.
<fgs@example.com> wrote:
> You can see by comments that I generally root for all things Japanese
> but that's definitely the kind of behavior preventing me from doing some
> serious effort over there. That sense that people can't judge for
> themselves, you know. Security roboto couldn't be programmed with a
> conditional command such as "IF library users can't behave in a decent
> manner, THEN ask them to leave", instead of command "just block any
> computer user". Or you have to look for places with booths because you
> automatically assume that without one, "average Japanese Joe", or gaijin
> for that matter, can't behave himself.

You can call me a "TLUG roboto", then, because I would agree with the
security guard.  If there is a policy in place, then applying it to
everyone -- even if it isn't in your favour -- is fair.  As long as
it's applied to both you, the gaijin, and some senior citizen who
gives a story about not being able to contact her grandson in another
prefecture.

Sure, if your Japanese was native and you're able to argue to allow
you to use your computer, you think you "win".  But, you have (IMHO)
actually lost because you'll find yourself living in a place where
rules are bent if you (or someone else) whines enough.

> Of course I wasn't watching the latest uncensored "JAV". And of course a
> public library could also mean a digital library everywhere in the
> world. I hail from a pile of junk where libraries also have DVDs to
> consult instead of just books! And they're not pirated.

Hmmmm, if you get into a discussion about what you're watching, then
you're basically suggesting the security guard should be looking at
people's screens to judge on a case-by-case basis.  If he did that,
you'd be screaming about invasion of privacy fairly quickly!

> In the context of this thread, I just would like to say to people
> relying on wireless connectivity, be aware. But would nonetheless listen
> from a Japanese why this library thing happen.

You're making it sound like Japanese people have some affinity with
libraries and know something that no one else does.  So far, a couple
of people (me excluded) have given some plausible reasons.  I'm not
sure if being Japanese would make those reasons more or less
believable...  :-)

Well, here's one from HK (though I'm not from here).  Eating on the
subway is a 60,000 yen *fine*.  While it is customary to not eat in
Japanese trains, if you do...you don't get a fine.  Well, you do here.
 If staff catch you, you can actually weasel out of it fairly easily.
Should I be thankful that staff here can think for themselves and bend
rules on the spot or should I feel kind of silly for following a rule
that is never enforced [*+]?  I guess you can figure out which side
I'm on...

Ray

[*]  Disclaimer:  If you visit HK and choose to eat on the subway and
get fined, I'm not responsible.  You do so at your own risk.  Don't
send me your fine and ask me to pay for it!  :-)

[+]  Sadly, a few people have taken the "subway regulations" into
their own hands and recorded people eating and uploaded the videos up
on to Youtube.  I'll take security roboto any day...