Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo (Very OT)

Josh Glover writes:

 > In my experience, Sweden tends to legislate many things that would be
 > covered by precedent in US / UK style common law.

Sure, that's precisely the difference between "common law" and
Napoleonic systems.

 > While it can certainly have drawbacks, it has the benefit of
 > average citizens being able to understand the law without having to
 > look up case history. :)

Not unmitigated.  It also means that moving from jurisdiction to
jurisdiction you can have rather different interpretations until the
legislature catches up and fixes the ambiguity (which in Japan was
probably carefully constructed with malice afore- and abaft-thought by
a bureaucrat, and in France bought and paid for by a "public" company,
you tell me about Sweden ;-).