Re: [tlug] What is the Sysadmin pager these days?

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Benjamin Tayehanpour
<benjamin@example.com> wrote:
> Generalisations are controversial. The greater the generalisation, the
> greater the controversy. A generalisation encompassing an entire
> (okay, technically you'd get away with >50%) planet's worth of
> civilisation... well, either cough up some evidence to support your
> claim, or withdraw it. Or, I suppose, concede that it's based on
> personal experience and not at all stated as fact, but then I'd wonder
> why that wasn't part of the statement in the first place.

Ok, ok.  How about this...

A short while ago, someone came up with an analogy that TLUG was like
a pub.  Honestly, I don't visit the pub very often but I do agree with
that analogy.  If I did visit the pub, I can say I don't check my use
of the English language very well.  I'll refrain from swearing :-),
but otherwise I would probably use words like "all" or "mostly"
semi-unconsciously.

If I were to write a research paper or one of my reports for work, I
certainly would check my claims and use experiments, evidence and
citations to back it up.  If someone I was working with made careless
claims, then I will certainly grill them on the same.  So, I
definitely agree with you there!  However, that (in my mind) is not
what TLUG is; you are of course free to disagree with me.  In fact,
TLUG for me is where I stop by when those research papers and reports
are driving me nuts.

Generalisations are controversial but there is a time and place for
them.  For me, I happen to make a distinction between TLUG / chatting
with my friends at a pub and work.  By the same token, I might say
"how r u" in an SMS to friends but never in a work report.

Honestly, I have seen more than 3 countries, but I didn't want to get
into listing which ones I've been to.  I think if I have to do that at
the table I'm at, then it's time for me to pick up my drink and move
to the next table...

And now...back to my work report!  (Seriously!)

Ray