Re: [tlug] What is the Sysadmin pager these days?

On 22 February 2014 09:18, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
> Many parts of the world may not be as bad as my comment implied; but
> there is still a noticeable difference between places like Japan and
> most places in the world...

There! There it is again. "Most places in the world", what? Based only
on a comparison between Tokyo, NYC, and Hong Kong, how can you make
any comment whatsoever including the phrase "most places in the
world"?

Generalisations are controversial. The greater the generalisation, the
greater the controversy. A generalisation encompassing an entire
(okay, technically you'd get away with >50%) planet's worth of
civilisation... well, either cough up some evidence to support your
claim, or withdraw it. Or, I suppose, concede that it's based on
personal experience and not at all stated as fact, but then I'd wonder
why that wasn't part of the statement in the first place.

(I apologise for taking a somewhat aggressive stance on what may
appear to be such a small and inconsequential point, but one of my pet
hates happen to be unsupported claims bordering on the hyperbolic.
Especially since people in general tend not to put any effort towards
source criticism before letting new data influence their personal
stances.)