Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 13.10 clock problems (was: Ibus and Ubuntu based)

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>  > I guess it silently replaced a configuration file?
>
> It's not silent, but some of the rc files and init.d files are
> catchall scripts with lots of pretty much independent configuration in
> them.  Whether the hardware clock is UTC or local time is usually a
> matter of one shell variable, so it's quite likely that that gets
> changed without specific mention if they do change it.
>
> I think whoever changed that variable should be handed over to the CIA
> for a few minutes of waterboarding, though.  That's just so arrogant.

Yes...  At least a check to see if the Ubuntu being upgraded is
co-existing with Windows would have been nice, huh?

> I *never* just accept a config replacement unless I *know* that what's
> in the config is related to a *specific* *non-mission-critical* app,
> and that I have *not* touched the config since the last time it was
> 100% synced to distro.  If either condition is not satisfied, I use
> the "merge configs" option.  It has saved more time and annoyance than
> it causes by a factor of 10 or so.

Hmmmm...I don't remember very well, but I don't think there was a
"merge configs" option during the upgrade.  Or, maybe because one file
has "UTC=yes" and the other has "UTC=no", it is unable to decide which
should be applied.

It did give me an opportunity to open up a shell and investigate
further.  Instead, I copied the file out and put it on my "to-do"
list.  I guess it would have stayed on that list if it weren't for
Chuck noticing the time problem...  :-)

Ray