Re: [tlug] Accessing JB's WWWJDIC Off-Line

On 29 August 2013 08:12, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
> Just thought of something!  The reason I say "salespeople" is due to
> the situation of going from person to person, place to place, and
> getting a *lot* of practice interacting with a wide range of people in
> a wide range of settings.  Being very busy with travel, etc., they
> don't have much time to sit down and think.  For people in positions
> in life with both a fair amount of verbal experience and some quiet
> time for thinking and writing, the disconnect between verbal
> smoothness and well-written text is not so pronounced.
>
> I guess I've met too many sales people over the years who have really
> amazing mouths, but couldn't write their way out of h**l if they were
> standing in it with their shoes on fire....

Which leaves the question: Do people who can't master the written word
become salespersons due to the nature of the work not requiring that
skill, or do salespersons in general lose their mastery of the written
word due to not requiring that skill? Which one is the cause, and
which one is the effect?