Re: [tlug] Accessing JB's WWWJDIC Off-Line

On 28 August 2013 10:56, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Jim Breen writes:
>
>  > they are correct and relevant most of the time. They are often more
>  > lucid than the explanations found in places like 広辞苑 and 大辞林.
>
> Not to mention occasionally more correct (広辞苑 has been trash-talked
> in the media the lst couple of days because it has known errors that
> haven't been corrected for 57 years -- of its 58-year existence ;-).

8=)}

While I'm on dictionaries, here's something I wrote to another list a couple of
days ago:

As luck has it, one of the in-flight films showing at the moment
on Singapore Airlines flights is the recent 舟を編む, which is about
the compilation of a new 国語辞典 called "大渡海" (shades of 広辞苑,
大辞林, etc.) I watched it on Monday on my way to Asialex in Bali.
It's based on a novel by 三浦しをん - the central character is a geekish
guy who is strong on words and, well, not good at personal relationships.

Here is a link about the  film:
http://enjp.blouinartinfo.com/news/story/890149/author-shion-miuras-assembly-of-boats-hits-the-big-screen
and there is a Wikipedia page about the novel and film:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%88%9F%E3%82%92%E7%B7%A8%E3%82%80

Catch it if you can. I very much doubt if it will have a commercial release
outside Japan, but hopefully subtitled DVDs will get out.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University