Re: [tlug] Emacs and decomposed unicode...

Hi,

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:52 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>  > I have a weird problem with Emacs,
>
> What version?  What GUI is configured?  You might (but then you might
> not) get the right display if you use the GTK+ port.  I think you're
> more likely to get it if you use the Mac port, Aquamacs, or the
> GNUStep port.

I use  Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4.
GUI is gnome, version 3.6.2.

>  > and the way it handles "unicode decomposed"[...] character "รจ" being
>  > (hex dump) coded as 65 cc 80 instead of the "usual" c3 a8.
>
> [... Emacs]  treat Unicode code points as characters, rather than properly
> composing them.

There is apparently a way, but it does not seem trivial, and surely
not "magical",
if I understand the link I found lately night:
https://github.com/quantumman/emacs.d/blob/master/init.d/init.encoding.el.
Apparently this was developed by a Japanese:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-04/msg00386.html

> emacs -nw should do the trick (the terminal will do the composition
> for you.

Yes, it works.
In fact, I wonder if I could find a workaround, as my only issue (I
think) is due
to a HFS+ file-system backup mounted on my Linux box (CIFS).
Such as  using a different FS on the MacOS box (FAT, UFS), or having some
options at CIFS level when I could mount NFD encoded filesystems via CIFS.

Bruno.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.