Re: [tlug] Linux / Win 8 dual boot

On 01/23/2013 07:30 AM, Ross Cavanagh wrote:
Also, have you looked into wubi to see if that's compatible if
you're using Ubuntu from a Windows 8 system? Seems by a quick google
search it's supported.

Most of the reports that I have found in my own web searches, both regarding the wubi approach, and the standard dual-boot installation, give indication of lots of problems. Although it seems that it is doable in theory (as prior responses to this query have indicated), the actuality is that at present it is a problematic and risky venture. That's why my original question was not "is it possible?", but "has anyone actually done it?"

I think Shaun's advice about taking the VMWare option makes sense for the time being, so that's what I have done.

Once it is clear that the kinks have been truly worked out, I'll probably go ahead and install a proper dual boot setup.

Chuck

--

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office: 03-5841-3735