Re: [tlug] ... Rant about Akihabara

On Saturday, June 16, 2012 07:42 AM, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Raymond Wan<rwan.kyoto@example.com>  wrote:
So, not sure if you remember, but was there a very big T-Zone in
Akihabara in the 1990s?  In the same building that AKB48's theatre is
in (among other things...)?  Is that correct?  I bought my first
laptop there and that was the first time I had so much cash on
me...scary for someone who wasn't raised in Japan.  :-D  Anyway, the
building looks right but can't be too sure.

Yeah, in spite of my ranting about Akihabara, once I got going with
computers (a late start in 1995-96), I also bought my first new laptop
at that large T-Zone store (after going through a few used laptops).
In fact, in 1996, just about everything new I bought was from that
T-Zone.  That shop closed (as a T-Zone - I only entered the building

It is kind of funny that T-Zone has closed down, given that Bic Camera and Yodobashi Camera have succeeded. So, it isn't like such a large superstore cannot succeed.

But, the other two did something 'right'. Maybe it is because they decided to do everything -- from cameras to fridges to computers. Or its their point card system that gives you 10% points, but they also marked up their prices by 10% (at least). :-)

overpriced used equipment the last time I checked).  That T-Zone shop
was the last place I regularly went to in Akihabara.  I haven't
completely given up on the area for computer parts, but it's starting
to feel like there isn't anything worth going there for.  There's even

For better or for worse, Akihabara has generalized itself, also. The Atre at the JR station was a big surprise. Now, they've also opened a bunch of Watami-like restaurants around the station, too. It's going to look like any other station some day in the future!

Oh, and I looked up T-Zone's Japanese Wikipedia article and it has become the current location of AKB48's theatre:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Don_Quijote_Akihabara_Shop.JPG

The structure looks identical to the original T-Zone, now that I compare the two photos. The best picture I can find is:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2002/0416/tzone.htm

(Funny, but I remember the old T-Zone to be far wider in size. :-) )

Ray