Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Laptop Assistance Please + Rant about Akihabara

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:19 PM, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Jawaad
Mahmood<jawaad.mahmood@example.com>  wrote:
It's sad that they have turned Akiba into another
generic part of Tokyo.  My wife cleans my ears for
free, hence no need to visit anymore, except for HDs at
times.
Speaking of Akihabara - I was talking to someone last
week who said they went to Akihabara with a young person
(early twenties) and the young person asked why there
were so many electronics shops there!  I think that's
about what it's come to.  Akihabara is for "anime" and
video games.  The remaining electronics shops are headed

My first time in Akihabara was in the late 90s. I can't remember 'back then' very well, but I think there were fewer large electronic stores scattered across Tokyo. I think this was the pre-Bic Camera and pre-Yodobashi Camera days. So, Akihabara was the place to go.

Now, you can go to either of these chains throughout the Yamanote line and skip Akihabara all together. I think Akihabara just had to change with the times...

> You said you're willing to spend Y150,000. For that, you can get > *five* squeaky-new laptops via Amazon.... Service form a steel&
> concrete store?  R.I.P.

I lived several years in Kyoto and saw a 5+ floor Maruzen there become a karaoke [all floors of it!] and, later, a Kinokuniya become a video arcade. With Amazon being able to deliver your order to Lawson [1], you don't even have to ask a courier to re-deliver your order if you're away from home.

Japanese steel and concrete stores will become karaokes all across the country!

Ray

[1] One nice thing about Japanese convenience stores (IMHO) is that they *are* actually convenient! 1.2 liters of soft drinks shouldn't be how we define convenient. :-)