Re: [tlug] Ubuntu Laptop Assistance Please + Rant about Akihabara

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Jawaad Mahmood
<jawaad.mahmood@example.com> wrote:
> However, the staff is _never_ knowledgable about _anything_ related to
> computer software. At the Dell store, I was informed by the salesmen that
> "Dell does not sell anything but Windows branded PCs".  (Android mobile
> If this is the world's second or third largest economy in a world that is
> going to be dominated by information technology, given that most servers are
> running Linux, why is it so hard to stock a _single_ Linux laptop model in a
> store that is otherwise filled with generic boxes from the same companies?

First your rant...  :-)

"Third largest economy and dominated by IT" means that everyone down
to the average Joe and his dog can have a computer.  This audience
isn't as interested in learning Linux, so another way to look at it is
that this actually encourages sales of Windows machines.  A
salesperson who knows Windows can speak to most of the customers that
walk through the door...

As for servers, I don't know about Japan, but I think if you were a
company and you were filling up your new office space with Linux
machines, you probably wouldn't buy it from Yodobashi Camera.  You'd
probably go to a place less flashy that's for corporate sales.  (Or
even direct from Dell via their web page, which is far cheaper.
Speaking of which, try asking the Dell shop's staff...they're in front
of Akihabara station/Atre on I think the second floor.  Hope they're
still there...)

I *think* there are more Linux-based machines in the USA for sale
because users actually complained about having Windows forced on to
them.  That started ages ago...  Manufacturers obviously heard them,
but didn't learn from this and bring it to other countries.

And a counter-rant...  :-)  Here in Hong Kong, there aren't any
super-stores like Yodobashi Camera to purchase hardware (there are
ones that sell iPads, android phones, etc., of course).  I'm looking
to upgrade and have no idea which of the smaller stores are
trustworthy.  I'll trade what I have now with Akihabara any day!

As for a Linux laptop, I'm afraid you're going to have to do your
homework.  Look up models on the Internet and see what other's
experiences are with installing Linux.  Things are much better
nowadays; 10 years ago, you'd install Linux and reboot and hold your
breath to see if it comes up.  :-)

As a start, I would advise you to avoid any laptop with an integrated
NVidia graphics card.  It's not going to work under Linux [yet]...

Ray