Re: [tlug] ... Rant about Akihabara

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
>>> My first time in Akihabara was in the late 90s.  I can't
>>> remember 'back then' very well, but I think there were fewer
>>> large electronic stores scattered across Tokyo.
>
> Yes, Akihabara was practically the only choice, especially if you wanted
> to buy parts.

In the 1980's and 1990's, I would agree Akihabara was basically the
only place to get parts, but certainly not the only place to get TV's,
radios, VCR's, cameras, etc. - all of which I happily bought in
Shinjuku and Ikebukuro.  My experience of shopping in Akihabara in the
mid-80's was the sales people would ignore my Japanese, quote a high
price, and say "Be-su-to pu-ra-i-su! - Be-su-to pu-ra-i-su!" (at Y245
to the dollar when I came, foreigners were considered to have more
money than locals and charged accordingly in places like tourist trap
Akihabara).  I had that experience at one shop after another.  So - I
went to Shinjuku, and got the idem cheaper straight off, with no
"Be-su-to pu-ra-i-su! - Be-su-to pu-ra-i-su!" nonsense.  Now, if you
wanted to build your own electronic device from discrete components,
Akihabara was the place to go, but wearing an outsider face, it tended
to suck for things you could get elsewhere.

I think we need to define what we're talking about here.  Are we
talking about computers and computer parts specifically, or large
discount electronics stores in general?  If we're talking about large
discount electronics stores, Akihabara was definitely not the only
place to go.  If we're talking about discreet components and
computers, then - sure - Akihabara used to be the only place to go.

Lyle