Re: [tlug] [OT] French cuisine

On 05/31/2012 08:55 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
On Thu, 31 May 2012 07:59:06 +0900
CL<az.4tlug@example.com>  wrote:

- Then again, if you speak passable German, there are a couple of places
in Tokyo and Narita (the town, not the airport) that will give you a
different menu than the one the host nationals are picking from, as well.

I did something similar with a turkish place in Shinjiku. It was quite fun
to talk with the cooks there and hear what they have experienced in Japan
and how it differed from Turkey.

Though, if i'd be in Japan, i definitly wouldnt want to eat german ;-)

That'd be a BIG mistake if you appreciate German food. There are German restaurants in Tokyo and Kobe that are equal to anything you can get in Germany, and there are several different types, depending upon where you go -- Kosher from German Jews who escaped to Japan via Shanghai, central German (Wuertemburg and Neidersachsen) from Lutheran businessmen who came to Kobe (mainly) in the early 1900s~1930s, and Bayerischen from a few ex-Nazis from the old Reichsembassie who would have found their lives significantly shorter had they returned home.

I used to live in Ota-ku, just up the road from the old Deutsch Schule and one of my neighbors was Anton Lohmeyer of Lohmeyer's Meats. Even though he was a Protestant, he could get any type of kosher meat and pickles from sources somewhere in Japan and was happy to know that there was someone else in his neighborhood who had grown up on a street filled with delicatessens and loved the food. He was always sending one of his secretaries over with real pastrami and corned beef. The area around Omori and Omori Kaigan Stations is still the main housing area for Bosch and Volkswagen Design Center workers and their families.

--
CL