Re: [tlug] HP Envy 15 first impressions

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@example.com> wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 04:39 PM, CL wrote:

>> My wife
>> and daughter insisted that it be left turned on on their WIN7 powered
>> ThinkPad, making the touchpad the second reason why theirs is so unusable.

> Since Windows properly disables it during typing (as does OS X), why
> does the touchpad make their TPad unusable?

I haven't found a way to use a notebook's keyboard that doesn't
involve either a higher than optimal level for typing or a
low-enough-to-be-painful level for the screen (of course, if you want
you can have both!)  Since typing is less important than reading for
me (believe it or not!), I end up with my palms resting on the
notebook body, and the balls of my thumbs often on the touch pad. When
in full rest, I tend to pull my hands back to the edge of the
notebook.  All of these occasionally produce random movement of the
pointer, and all too often, a click, moving the insertion point or
even raising and focusing a different window.

I wouldn't say that touchpads make a machine unusable but I certainly
would agree that they can be a PITA.

Steve