Re: [tlug] HP Envy 15 first impressions

> This is part of the Ubuntu doc for the UX31e, and I don't know if it's
> specific to the Sentelic or not.
>
> However
>
> echo -n 0x90 0x080 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/setreg
> echo -n c > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/flags
>
> This seems to work for me in both Ubuntu and Fedora.
>
> However, no idea if it would work on your machine.

serio1 appears to belong to the clickpad on this machine (the protocol
file there contains "SynPS/2) but it has no setreg or flags files to
echo to, so I'm interpreting that as being specific to Sentelic.

Will keep digging around. On the fence about keeping the machine. It's
very nice, it's 90% as good as a MacBook Pro in terms of comfort of use
and is clearly better in terms of hardware spec (more ports, and that
1920 x 1080 display looks great and is larger than you can even get in a
15" MBP), but using it for a few days has given me a real appreciation
of how hard it is to get that extra 10% that Apple has, and how much it
matters.

Granted, it may not matter as much to a person who hasn't dealt with RSI
problems, and a lot of the use of this machine if I keep it would be
with an external monitor/keyboard/trackpad (integral to said keyboard,
and driverless), which would sidestep the 10% issue anyway. I like it
enough that it would be hard to send it back.

I'll say this about the Envy 15: if you're looking for a high-end
notebook, it needs to be on your shortlist. It's probably the best
non-Apple notebook on the market.

Jonathan