Re: [tlug] Favorite Linux laptops these days?

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 09:50:48AM +0200, Josh wrote:
> 2012/3/26 Christian Horn <chorn@example.com>:
>
> > Still Thinkpads.  Althou rumour has it that quality dropped, I did not have
> > any bad experiences with my Thinkpads in the last years.
>
> I have a T420s (with SSDs!), and I love it... except for the battery
> life, which is abysmal in Ubuntu 11.10. By default, using the nVidia
> graphics, it gets around an hour. If you add a magic grub flag, [1]
> you get something like 2 hours (using Unity; I use Openbox and get 30
> extra minutes). If you enable RC6 power management, [2] you should get
> something approximating reasonable battery life, but you will need to
> switch to the Intel graphics, and it is quite buggy in 11.10, so
> you'll need to upgrade your kernel manually or wait for 12.04.

Judging from a 20-30 page thread on Ubuntu forums, about the UX31E
(Asus' answer to the airbook), there have been (not only in Ubuntu) some
regressions in power management in the kernel.

>From same thread, this is gradually getting better.   Doing more
googling (while investigating my own UX31E power management issues),
it's apparently something where Linux lags behind Windows.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6