Re: [tlug] Favorite Linux laptops these days?

2012/3/26 Christian Horn <chorn@example.com>:

> Still Thinkpads.  Althou rumour has it that quality dropped, I did not have
> any bad experiences with my Thinkpads in the last years.

I have a T420s (with SSDs!), and I love it... except for the battery
life, which is abysmal in Ubuntu 11.10. By default, using the nVidia
graphics, it gets around an hour. If you add a magic grub flag, [1]
you get something like 2 hours (using Unity; I use Openbox and get 30
extra minutes). If you enable RC6 power management, [2] you should get
something approximating reasonable battery life, but you will need to
switch to the Intel graphics, and it is quite buggy in 11.10, so
you'll need to upgrade your kernel manually or wait for 12.04.

So the T420s is a great machine for developing code, but I can't
recommend it for your stated battery life goals. :(

Cheers,
Josh

[1] GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pcie_aspm=force"
[2] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_i915_power&num=1