Re: [tlug] Disposing of a hard drive: Rare Earth Magnets; Glass Sharp Edges

dave@example.com wrote:

> Also got some amazing magnets out of it.

Yup. Them's good. You can recycle them into hybrid cars[1].

> ... pinning an unruly child to the fridge:

Of course, that's what they really get used for.

> http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/WindChimeStory

Keep in mind that newish drive platters are made of glass,
not metal. You can bend the old metal ones, but the new glass
ones break with sharp edges. I know of more than one person
who has cut himself doing so. Need some tiny Torx bits?

[1] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Neodymium
    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Neodymium_magnet

    Rare earth elements are not so.
    Sell your magnets before new production as below and in
    Mountain Pass, California drives the prices back down.
    http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/332099/title/Rare_earth_elements_plentiful_in_ocean_sediments
    Where's Howard Hughes when we need him?