Re: [tlug] OT: being boring (was: Browser share in Japan?)

> >  > > The only thing that matters in open source (and free software, for
> >  > > that matter) is release rate of the products you use. ...
>  >
>  > Whereas the only thing that matters for web designers and developers is
>  > the market share of IE6 ;-)
>
> Hey, if web designers can get away with treating words that lightly...

I thought I matched your comment quite well ;-)

(You didn't even say if you mean a fast release rate or a slow release
rate, and if you are referring to major version or minor version or bug
fixes or just fixing typos in the source code comments. Precision
Stephen, precision.)
But, careful, too much detail can be boring.

> might discover that in the market they care about, the 5% of users
> still using IE6 are generating 20% of the revenues attributable to the
> site.  Oops.

Actually, in advising my client I did consider this. The only people
using IE6 are people running Windows XP who don't know how to upgrade
IE, or are not allowed to. I judged only a small percentage of that 5%
might become customers of my client (which requires installing software
on a reasonably powerful windows machine), and the risk of them being
put off purchasing by a transparent png not being transparent was an
acceptable one.

I omitted this, and a hundred other tedious details, from my first
email, so as not to be too boring. :-)

Darren