Re: [tlug] Assembly Language v C and Embedded Development: !gcc for PIC16F84

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 06:51:00 +0100, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

> On 10 March 2011 02:37,  <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
>
> > More particularly, is gcc available for the PIC16F84?
>
> A cursory Google search seems to indicate that it probably isn't.

Indeed. Same goes for many (or most) low-end MCUs.

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:09:07 +0100, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

> I think this is a fallacy. I challenge you [Lewske Wada] to profile your
> code and show that you can regularly beat gcc with the optimiser turned up.

It can not be done because gcc is not available for the PIC16F84 that
Lewske Wada is using. Would you like to restate your challenge using
some open source compiler that you recommend for the PIC16F84?

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 06:51:00 +0100, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

> OK Jim, stop beating around the bush and empty both barrels! ;)

What's your hurry?

By playing along, you will be led to a better understanding of
the embedded world that Lewske Wada and I are familiar with.
Read section 2.4.1 on page 11 of the PIC16F84 datasheet[1],
and discuss how you would write a compiler to do stack relative
addressing that C loves so much. Others are welcome to comment also.

[1] http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/35007b.pdf