Re: [tlug] GNOME sucks and nautilus is a PITA

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:56:22PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Attila Kinali writes:
>
>  > Doh! Reading that subject and the sender, i was expecting some genuine
>  > and interesting rant about gnome. :-)
>
> Sorry, but all I know about GNOME is that one tiny applet that wants
> GNOME will make your PMS download enough libraries with names that
> remind me of puerile anime (anybody remember Bonononobonononobonobo?
> shitsurei, that was Bobo-bobo-boh-bobo) will cost you a cool 35GB of
> disk.

Ok, since it's no longer trolling, let me jump in.  :)

Some BSD folks have in their sig, BSD is for people who love Unix, Linux
is for those who hate Windows.

I think there is a growing, perhaps prevalent trend to become aimed at
the imaginary  "average user."  Who is, according to most of these
distributions, rather stupid.  For example, Fedora/RH (RH as of 6.x)
have crippled their text mode install to the poin where one can't custom
partition or select packages.  In an advertising spin worthy of Windows
Genuine Advantage, they call this streamlined and simplified.

The vast majority of distributions hide what's going on at boot behind a
pretty GUI screen, and the user never has to touch a command line.  Just
like Windows, NetworkManager can break networking and hide it behind
GUIs till the only thing to do is remove it.  Many of the "innovations
and improvements" are things like quicker, prettier boots.

Fedora and Ubuntu are the most obvious offenders, though at least Ubuntu
offers their alternative install.

To paraphrase some of the BSD fan-people, Gentoo, Arch and their ilk (as
opposed to elk) are for people who love Unix, whereas Fedora and its
kind are for those who hate Windows.

Trollishly yours,

--
Scott Robbins