Re: [tlug] Network completely down (was: Network annoyingly not starting on boot)

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 22:57, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 03:27:25PM +0200, Josh wrote:
>> On 15 October 2010 14:49, Sach Jobb <sach@example.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, one would think that RH, which is in theory at least,
> more of a server oriented system, would stop deprecating its curses
> based tools in favor of pretty guis.  (I'm always good for an excuse to
> drag RH and Fedora into it, to point out how they're trying to be like
> Windows.)

In regards to RH and Fedora, this is possibly (and if true,
unfortunately) due to Fedora being the testbed for future RH releases
and Fedora being seen by many as a desktop distro. My hypothesis is
that since so many people see Fedora as a desktop distro this is
where/why the new gui "things" get developed and eventually make their
way into RH.

That being said, I hope this is not the case and that RH does not
continue their slide into more gui type tools, though unfortunately
from your quote about the RHEL6 installer it seems they may. Truth be
told though, I've never really used RH's curses (or gui) based tools,
so, as long as you can still configure it from the cli I'll be happy.

--
Romeo Theriault