Re: [tlug] Subversion to Git Conversions

On 2009-10-28 13:04 +0100 (Wed), Attila Kinali wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:43:52 +0900
> Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
>
> > CVS to Subversion was a lot more tricky than I would guess most
> > developers would think...
>
> What kind of problems did you have?

Well, getting stuff out of CVS was one of the big ones. But there were
all of the usual stuff fumbles when you move to a system you're not
familiar with and the changes to the workflow that go with a new system.
Bigger ones were things like learning how it does (or doesn't) handle
large files (though I started after FSFS was stable, thank God), the two
different sorts of subversion switch, setting things up so that someone
could have repo access over ssh without shell access to the machine, and
a truly nasty one was splitting and merging repos.

> We migrated FFmpeg and MPlayer from CVS to SVN and the only prob was
> the renames we had in both repositories (which CVS didnt handle at all).

CVS handles renames. You don't want to know how, though. :-) (And don't
ask me, either. I refuse to try to remember.)

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com