Re: [tlug] Git Under Windows (Was: linux@example.com)

Curt Sampson writes:

 > I'm not worried about whether git can handle Nk commits. The fears are:
 >
 >   * Did I take the svn repos "apart" correctly when converting them
 >     to multiple git repos?

Convert to one git repository first, and use git to do the
partitioning.  git is *the* power tool when it comes to slicing,
dicing, and/or julienning your DAGs.

 >   * Did I manage to correctly snag all of the branches and tags?

If you convert to a single git repo first, you can get comparable
lists with "ls svn-repo/branches|sort" and "ls .git/refs/heads|sort",
then reconcile anything that shows up in a diff.

 >   * Did I screw up anything else?

You shouldn't have a problem with DAGs.  AFAIK the (in-repo) DAGs git
can handle are a superset (maybe not strict) of those svn can handle.
You may have problems with svn properties and svn externals (I don't
think git submodules are as well developed as svn externals, but
things change fast in the git world).

 >   * If I messed up anything, what's it going to take to fix it in a way
 >     that I properly preserve both all my old history imported from the
 >     svn repo and new commits in git.

git-filter-branch is your friend.