[tlug] Subversion to Git Conversions

On 2009-10-28 13:23 +0900 (Wed), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Curt Sampson writes:
>
>  > I'm not worried about whether git can handle Nk commits. The fears are:
>  >
>  >   * Did I take the svn repos "apart" correctly when converting them
>  >     to multiple git repos?
>
> Convert to one git repository first, and use git to do the
> partitioning.  git is *the* power tool when it comes to slicing,
> dicing, and/or julienning your DAGs.

Hm. There's a thought that hadn't occurred to me. Though it seems to me
that that would make it considerably harder to go back to using SVN for
a project or two if, say, it wasn't working out for a client.

>  >   * Did I manage to correctly snag all of the branches and tags?
>
> If you convert to a single git repo first, you can get comparable
> lists with "ls svn-repo/branches|sort" and....

It's a little more complex for me, since I don't keep branches under
/branch, but under /whatever/project/branch. But that can be dealt with
without too much difficulty. I also think I'm getting a handle on the
"remote tracking refs" that git svn is putting in; I just create head
refs on those, right?

> You may have problems with svn properties and svn externals (I don't
> think git submodules are as well developed as svn externals, but
> things change fast in the git world).

The git ones do what I've often wanted when using svn. Unfortunately,
they don't do the svn form of them, which I did use in a few places, and
which I feel more need for under git (e.g., to make part of a project
"read-only," as it were). Ah well.

> git-filter-branch is your friend.

I'll keep that in mind. That, however, looks it could make something
like reverting a particular project to svn rather difficult....

(By the way, I do realize that a lot of these issues I'm worried about
are caused by svn, not git. But I'm sure you can realize why anybody
without much git experience would be a bit nervous about commiting years
of svn history to it and resolving never to go back.)

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com